Skip to content. Skip to main navigation.

History

The Boy Scout movement came to Good Shepherd in 1947 when Troop 728 opened its doors. The Troop flourished with a membership of over 150 boys under three dedicated Scoutmasters: George Karsh (1947-1954), Frank Bond (1955-1970) and John Sweeney (1970-1973).

Bill Coughlin and William Hunter (our first Eagle Scout) each served as Scoutmaster for a year until 1975. The next Scoutmaster, Charles Lopez served for twelve years. With the help of many assistants such as Bill Milam, Mark Macagnone, and Jason Tormo the Troop was rebuilt into a unit that is respected throughout the parish and the community.

In 1987, another of our Eagle Scouts, Erik Martir, became Scoutmaster and carried on the tradition of service to the community and the youths of Inwood. In 1989, John Ward, a member of the Troop since 1976 and an Eagle Scout, became Scoutmaster. In 1994, Eagle Scout Bosco Chao stepped into the position of Scoutmaster as John Ward moved into the role of Troop Committee member. From 1998 to 2003, The Honorable Efrain Alvarado assumed the role of Scoutmaster. And from 2003 to 2019, Terence Dolan, served as Scoutmaster. Terence was the 5th Eagle Scout of the Troop to serve as Scoutmaster. He currently serves as a Member of the Troop Committee (Treasurer) and is the Troop’s Chartered Organization Rep.

Troop 728’s current Scoutmaster is David M. Russell, a professional photographer and neighborhood father. David has a long association with Camp Mattatuck in Connecticut and is a lifelong Scouter. Prior to being named Scoutmaster in June 2019, David served as an Assistant Scoutmaster.

Troop 728 has so far produced 28 Eagle Scouts, the most prestigious award that any young man or woman can earn.

© 2020 Troop 728 - Boy Scouts of America | WordPress Admin